Request Request an Appointment Call Call Our Office Map Map Us

Keep Your Breath Fresh with These Four Great Tips

January 28, 2020

Filed under: Uncategorized — dentaldynamics @ 10:29 pm
Toothbrush, mouthwash, and mint leaves

Have you ever found yourself shying away from social gatherings or covering your mouth during a conversation because of how your breath smells? If so, you’re not alone. It’s estimated that roughly one out of four people have bad breath at any given moment. When oral bacteria accumulate on your teeth and tongue, they can release a sulfur compound that laces your breath with a foul odor. Thankfully, you can treat bad breath and protect yourself from this unpleasant condition with these four easytips from your dentist.

Take Your Time When Brushing

The harmful, stinky bacteria that causes bad breath builds up on your teeth and gums throughout the day. Since it coats your entire mouth, it’s important to take your time and practice a thorough dental routine in order to clear it all out. The American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth for two minutes twice a day to effectively remove bacteria from your teeth, gums, and breath.

Use Floss and Mouthwash Too

Even with a solid two minutes of brushing your teeth twice a day, dental experts believe that you’re only removing about 60% of the plaque and bacteria in your mouth. The other 40% hides in places that your toothbrush bristles can’t reach, like between your teeth and just underneath your gumline. To keep bacteria from accumulating in these areas, you should floss all your teeth daily and use mouthwash.

Don’t Forget About Your Tongue

Preventing bad breath takes more than just keeping your teeth and gums clean. Your tongue is covered in tiny bumps called papillae, which create grooves that easily trap bacteria and food particles. Make sure that you’re keeping your tongue fresh by cleaning it regularly with gentle brushing or a tongue scraper.

See Your Dentist Regularly

Chronic bad breath may be a symptom of an underlying oral health problem like gum disease. This very common condition develops when the oral bacteria in your mouth infects your gums, causing them to bleed easily and become swollen. Although the earliest symptoms of this disease may be easy to overlook, it can lead to intense discomfort and tooth loss if left untreated. Thankfully, your dentist can help keep your gums healthy and your breath fresh with treatments like gum disease therapy. Seeing your dentist every six months for a checkup allows them to detect the earliest signs of any underlying issues that can cause bad breath and put a stop to them before they can develop into larger health problems.

It’s time to stop hiding behind your hands as you talk and smile. With these easy tips, you can regain your confidence and your fresh breath!

About the Practice

Whether you’re facing an uncomfortable symptom or a larger health issue, Dental Dynamics in Skokie, IL is here to help. Our highly experienced team of dentists and specialists can help you prevent issues like bad breath and gum disease with a simple checkup, which is why we encourage our patients to visit every six months. We would be thrilled to help you overcome whatever obstacles you face to achieve the confident and healthy smile you deserve. To learn more, contact us at our website or (847) 329-9801.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.